Dominion Nickel Alloys Ltd. first opened its doors for business in Montreal in 1969. The company founder, Frank Fleisher, started the business with his life savings and a dream to someday become a force in the scrap metal recycling industry.
Through his unyielding commitment to sound and honest business practices and old-fashioned hard work, Frank quickly built a reputation of integrity in the industry. As a result, his business grew. So much so, in fact, that by 1979 the business had outgrown its Montreal facility.
Early Growing Years
Oakville, Ontario was chosen as the business’s new home, primarily because of its ready highway access to Toronto and U.S. border cities, as well as its strong workforce base.
Within 15 years, the company had outgrown its 5-acre site and 40,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Oakville. It was time to seek out a facility that could both sustain the current level of business activity, and accommodate management’s plans for future growth.
With a desire to maintain the geographical and workforce advantages offered by the Oakville site, Dominion’s management team set their sights on a 10-acre site with a 75,000 square foot manufacturing facility in nearby Burlington, Ontario.
Following acquisition of the new site in January 1995, the company refurbished and updated the existing buildings and turned the site into a modern scrap metal recycling facility with state-of-the-art equipment. Operations commenced in July 1995.
Another 10-acre expansion was completed in 2000, bringing the total site size to 20-acres. The current site is well positioned to effectively sustain business activities today, and has the potential to accommodate continued growth in the future.
Frank Fleisher laid a firm foundation for honesty and integrity back in 1969. It's a legacy that's maintained today by sons Allan, Howie, and Danny. As today's hands-on Management Team, they're solidly committed to these time-honoured truths;
- Quality is our top priority. The quality of our product and of our services is a direct reflection on us and, as such, receives our utmost attention.
- Every technical and human effort will be expended to assure that customers receive nothing less than the highest quality product and services.
- Everyone will be treated fairly and honestly, including suppliers, customers, and employees. We believe strongly in the importance of forging and maintaining strong personal and working relationships that are beneficial to all parties involved.
- Suppliers and customers will be treated with genuine respect - which includes making a sincere effort to understand and fulfill their every need.
- Promises made will be promises kept. Our word is our bond and, as such, our suppliers, customers, and employees can count on us to live up to our promises.
- Material will be sorted, analyzed, and processed quickly, and suppliers will be paid promptly, in accordance with agreed terms of purchase.
- Our facility and equipment will be continually upgraded to maintain the highest levels of service and product quality that our suppliers and customers deserve.
- Suppliers and customers will receive complete assistance with any needs they may have, to their utmost satisfaction.
- We are conscious of the importance of maintaining and not harming the environment and will operate our business in an environmentally friendly manner and in strict compliance with all regulations.
- Every effort will be made to assure that the company remains a solid corporate citizen in all communities in which it is represented.
“In other words, Dominion Nickel Alloys Ltd. is fully committed to
conducting their recycling business in a totally responsible and professional manner.”