Today, Dominion Nickel Alloys Ltd. is a company operating on a global scale. As one of North America's leading scrap metal recycling facilities, with experienced staff and the latest in machinery, Dominion specializes in the purchasing, sorting, processing, and marketing of a broad range of high temperature and specialty alloys. These include: Nickel based alloys, Nickel Chrome alloys, Nickel Chrome Moly alloys, Nickel Copper alloys, Nickel Cobalt alloys, Stainless Steel alloys, and Tool Steels, as well as primary metals such as Nickel, Cobalt, and Moly.
In order to assure the highest level of efficiency in recycling operations and product quality, the company utilizes state-of-the-art yard and plant technologies, including:
- Sophisticated on-site analytical testing facilities, to determine the exact chemical analysis of metals.
- Electronic scales, as well as a complete range of material handling equipment, to facilitate internal operations and ensure efficient truck turnaround times.
- State-of-the-art processing equipment, to efficiently turn all scrap materials into a highly desirable product, custom tailored to suit each customer's exact requirements.
- Proper environmental pollution control procedures, that are strictly followed, to assure that potentially hazardous waste is controlled and prevented from going into the ground.
- High-tech surveillance equipment is employed on-site, to assure the safety of all material in process and in storage.
- Fully hard surfaced yard, to minimize on-site truck and tire damage and to maintain a clean working environment.
- The company is currently registered to ISO 9001:2015 and has been ISO registered since 1999.
Before entering the company’s yard, all materials are subjected to radiation detection, to assure the protection of yard personnel and remove contaminated material from the recycling chain. All materials must also pass over an electronic truck scale to determine the exact weight of the material. It is then sent to the appropriate area of our facility for further sorting and processing.
A full range of processes is used to convert scrap materials into usable form for stainless steel mills and foundries. These include:
- Torch Cutting
A policy of investment in the latest processing technologies assures both the guaranteed analysis and dense homogeneous materials required to meet critical customer needs.
The fully automated hydraulic baler produces uniform, high density briquettes/bales from loose scrap. It is capable of processing a wide range of materials into a form which facilitates handling, transporting and melting - and ultimately results in lower costs.
The turning crusher efficiently and effectively processes mixed and bushy turnings to a dense physical consistency, ideally suited for the melting operation. The resulting metal is then blended to the guaranteed analysis required by the customer.
The shearing and torch cutting operations prepare oversized material to conform to current mill or foundry size specifications. This allows otherwise non-consumable material to effectively enter the recycling stream.
All material is thoroughly sampled for chemical content, to assure that it exactly meets customer requirements. A complete range of sampling techniques is available, using x-ray fluorescence and spark testing equipment as appropriate. The nature of the material will determine which equipment is required. If necessary, the material can be melted in either the electric arc button furnace or the electric induction furnace, to obtain better analytical results.
A modern laboratory facility is available to analyze material. Technologies include:
- X-Ray Fluorescence Units
- Conventional Chemical Analysis
- Emission Spectrometry
- Spark Testing
- Sample Furnaces
- Custom designed sampling and preparation facilities for crushed turnings, grindings, and all other materials